While a dog can be man’s best friend, large numbers of dog bite incidents occur every year. Should a person suffer personal injury by a dog as a result of the negligence or carelessness of the dog owner, the dog owner shall be guilty of an offence and liable for the injured party’s damages, which normally includes extensive medical expenses, loss of earnings and compensation for emotional distress and pain and suffering.
Injuries suffered often include:
- severe lacerations and open wounds to the neck, head, upper body and limbs
- post traumatic stress and anxiety
In the event of such an attack:
- identify the dog and its owner
- seek immediate medical care
- obtain the names and telephone numbers of any witnesses
- report the incident to the animal control authorities
Seek the advice of the skilled legal team at Adendorff Attorneys who understand the complexities of such a matter.