Skip to main content

Practice areas

Road Accident Claims

Road Accident Fund (RAF) Claims

The Road Accident Fund (RAF) is a special fund that pays compensation to victims of road accidents who have suffered bodily injuries at the hands of a negligent driver. The cover extends to all road users within the borders of South Africa and is not only available to South Africans, but also to foreigners injured within our country. How does the government support the road accident fund? A portion of all petrol and diesel purchased in South Africa is used to finance the RAF.

Persons seriously injured may claim from the RAF and such persons include:

  • drivers of vehicles, buses, taxis or motorcycles who were not the sole cause of the accident
  • passengers
  • pedestrians
  • cyclists
  • dependents of a breadwinner killed in an accident

The compensation available to such persons does not include the loss relating to the damage to vehicles, clothing or personal effects, but does include:

  • hospital and medical expenses already incurred
  • hospital and medical expenses that may be incurred in future
  • loss of income
  • loss of income that could arise in future
  • general damages for pain and suffering

Should the injury result in the victim’s death, the family members can claim:

  • funeral expenses
  • loss of financial support

It is important for claimants to understand that this matter can be a highly complex one. Trying to process road accident fund payouts without specialist attorneys such as those at Adendorff Attorneys at one’s side can lead to immense frustration & disappointment during the road accident fund claims procedure.

There are many different aspects to such a claim: accident reports, police case dockets, photographs and witness statements are very important in proving the date, time and place of the accident. These documents should also state the names and contact details of the drivers and witnesses, motor vehicle registration numbers and an explanation of how the accident occurred.

The hospital and medical records, further medical reports and a detailed account of any rehabilitation will help prove the extent of the victim’s injuries.

Payslips, affidavits from employers and reports from medical and business experts will lead the investigation into the victim’s loss of earnings.

If you’ve been injured in a motorbike, pedestrian or car accident, contact the highly experienced lawyers at Adendorff Attorneys today.

Book your
FREE consultation now