Personal injury is a specialised field of practice that seeks compensation for injuries caused by the negligence of another party. This includes trauma resulting from medical malpractice, slip and fall incidents, dog bites, unlawful arrest, road accident fund claims and train accidents, among others.
Personal injury cases in South Africa are highly complex matters and victims of negligence are required to navigate a maze of legal procedures, complicated medical terms, third party reports and more. This is where the services of an experienced specialist personal injury attorney is critical:
- He or she will guide you through the daunting legal process, ensuring that the law is correctly followed and that you achieve the best possible outcome for your matter.
- A personal injury lawyer will also be able to give you a good indication, from the beginning, as to whether you are likely to achieve a successful outcome or not. Saving you unnecessary time and expense.
- An attorney will accurately document your injuries, including gathering police and eyewitness reports, photographs, and other necessary supporting documents.
- A specialist personal injury lawyer will also identify which benefits are available through your own insurance company (if you have cover) and how to work together with that company to resolve your case. Or, should the party at fault have insurance, a personal injury attorney will know what to communicate to that party’s insurance company to achieve compensation.
- Depending on the nature of your injury, you may need access to scientific, medical, and other personal injury experts to support negligence or damages relating to your specific matter. Typically, the bills for these services are your responsibility and can run into tens of thousands of rands. However, a personal injury lawyer will generally carry the costs associated with your case until the matter is won.
- A good attorney will also be familiar with payments made in cases that are similar to yours. As your lawyer learns more about your circumstances, he or she will be able to determine the best possible strategy to maximise your claim.
Many personal injury victims are uncertain of their rights and are concerned about costs. But a free consultation with Adendorff Attorneys could ensure that you achieve the compensation you deserve. All on a no-win, no fee claim basis.